Special Diet Notes: Eggplant Paprikash
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ – 2 lbs. eggplant (about 2 medium) cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced (I used red)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ⅛ teaspoon Liquid Smoke flavoring
- ½ cup tofu sour cream (see below)
- ½ package (about 6 ounces) lite silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon cashew butter or tahini
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Blend all the ingredients for the tofu sour cream until completely smooth, and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- In a large, non-stick saucepan, sauté the onion in a small amount of water until it begins to brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, and red pepper (optional), and stir for one minute. Add the salt, eggplant, peppers, vegetable broth, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the eggplant is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- When the eggplant is done, check the seasonings and add more salt if necessary. Stir in the Liquid Smoke (optional) and the sour cream, and cook for another minute, until warmed through. Serve over pasta or rice.