I labeled this chicken fettucine alfredo recipe as potentially vegan, because the sauce is vegan and you can easily substitute the chicken with your favorite veggies or meat alternative.
If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, you can substitute the whole wheat fettucine with your favorite gluten-free pasta, but you will also need to test an alternative cheese substitute for the VeganRella (it contains oat flour which may be a problem for the gluten sensitive). Options such as Daiya or Vegan Gourmet may work well.
“So, I’ve been having a craving for chicken fettucine alfredo, but I can’t have it due to the butter, heavy cream and two types of cheese used…or so I thought. I have found substitutes for the butter, and the cheeses but I was having difficulty finding a suitable substitute for heavy cream. Enter godairyfree.org. The site offered several substitutes for heavy cream from soy milk mixed with olive oil to pureed silken tofu. After speaking with creater, owner, and author of Go Dairy Free, Alisa Fleming, about what method I should try, she offered her recipe [from Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook]she usually used for savory cream based sauces. I gave it a shot and came up with a delicious Chicken Fettucine Alfredo.”
Special Diet Notes: Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, and peanut-free.
Optionally vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian: use favourite chicken alternative or omit.
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into strips (feel free to omit or sub with vegan chicken substitute)
- 2 lbs whole wheat fettucine (or gluten-free pasta)
- 8 oz (1 cup) dairy-free margarine (such as Smart Balance or Earth Balance)
- 2 cups cashews
- 2 cups water
- 4 gloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Go Veggie Parmesan alternative
- 1-1/2 cup dairy-free mozzarella cheese style block, grated (such as Daiya)
- Step 1: Cook Chicken. Set aside to cool.
- Step 2: Place water for pasta onto boil, about 8 cups of water. When water begins to boil add pasta and and cook until al dente.
- Step 3: While waiting for the water to boil: Place cashews and 2 cups of water into blender and puree until smooth. Melt Smart Balance buttery spread in sauce pan, add cashew mixture, minced garlic cloves and white pepper and stir often. Add Vegan Topping and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until smooth. Stir Often. Add Vegan Rella Mozzarella and simmer until smooth. Stir Often.
- Step 4: Cut chicken into strips and combined drained cooked noodles, chicken and sauce to a large pot and mixed. Cook until heated through.