Glass Noodle Stir-fry with Crab
Author: Christine W. at Cook Smarter
- 2 bundles of mien (glass noodles), soaked in lukewarm water for about 20 minutes
- 1 cup of black “wood-ear” mushrooms, soaked in lukewarm water for about 30 minutes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of baby leeks, thoroughly cleaned and thinly sliced on the bias (discard the tough green tops, or save it for use in making stock)
- 1 cup of chopped red bell pepper
- meat from 1 whole, steamed crab (approx. 1 cup)
- crab tomalley
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbl. fish sauce + more to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- oil, for cooking
- In a colander or sieve, drain the glass noodles, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, tomalley and fish sauce, set aside.
- In a wok or deep skillet heated to med-high, add about 1-2 Tbl. of oil.
- Stir in the leeks and cook until slightly translucent, approx.2-3 minutes
- Next, add the red bell pepper and mushrooms and stir-fry for about 1-2 minutes
- Now, add the glass noodles and stir-fry 1-2 minutes. The noodles should be translucent.
- Pour the egg + tomalley mixture over the noodles and quickly stir fry until the eggs are cooked, between 2-4 minutes.
- Gently fold the crab meat into the noodles and combine. Sprinkle fresh cracked pepper and serve warm.