Linguine with Clam Sauce (Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free)
- 24 littleneck clams
- 6 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1.2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 5 Tbs finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus a few whole leaves for garnish
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- 8 oz linguine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub the clams under cold water and set aside.
- In a heavy 3-qt saucepan, heat 3 Tbs of the oil over medium heat. Add the pepper flakes and cook briefly to infuse the oil, about 20 seconds. Immediately add the wine, 2 Tbs of the chopped parsley, and half of the minced garlic.
- Cook for 20 seconds and add the clams.Cover and cook over medium-high heat, checking every 2 minutes and removing each clam as it opens. It will take 5-6 minutes total for all the clams to open.
- Transfer the clams to a cutting board and reserve the broth.
- Remove the clams from the shells and cut them in half, or quarters if they’re large.
- Return the clams to the broth.
- Discard the shells.
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until it’s almost al dente, 6-9 minutes. Don’t overcook.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the remaining 3 Tbs olive oil in a 10 or 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 3 Tbs chopped parsley and the rest of the garlic and cook until the garlic is just soft, about 1 minute. Set the skillet aside.
- When the pasta is done, reserve about ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water and then drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta, the clams and the broth the clams were cooked in to the skillet.
- Return to low heat, toss the pasta in the sauce and simmer for another minute to finish cooking it, adding a little of the pasta water if you prefer a wetter dish.
- Taste for salt and add a large grind of black pepper.
- Serve immediately, garnished with the parsley leaves.
In my version, I added shiitake mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, extra hot peppers, mussels and scallops, but I was gilding the lily.