Who doesn’t swoon over creamy macaroni & cheese casserole with that golden, bubbly top? This baked macaroni and cheese is ultra creamy and full of savory cheesy flavor thanks to nutritional yeast flakes.
Special Diet Notes: Macaroni & Cheese Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 3½ cups dried macaroni
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- ½ cup plain white flour
- 3½ cups boiling water
- ½-1 teaspoon salt, added gradually to taste
- 2 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder or 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- Pinch turmeric
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes (Red Star and Braggs brands are available in large supermarkets and health stores)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF
- Cook macaroni in boiling, lightly salted water according to packet instructions.
- When cooked, drain in a colander and return to pan to keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, melt margarine over low heat.
- Beat in flour with a wire whisk and continue to beat over a medium heat until the mixture (called a roux), is smooth and bubbly.
- Whip in the boiling water, salt, soya sauce, garlic and turmeric, beating well to dissolve the roux.
- The sauce should continue to cook until it thickens and bubbles.
- Whip in yeast flakes.
- Mix part of the sauce with cooked macaroni and put in a casserole dish.
- Pour rest of sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 15 minutes.
- Put under grill for a few minutes, until sauce gets stretchy and crisp.