This vegan macaroni and cheese recipe was submitted by a reader from The Veggie Web site:
I never use a recipe for this dish, so the ingredient amounts might be a little off. Adjust as necessary. I’ve tried endlessly to find a good vegan cheese substitute for macaroni and cheese, and Soymage is the best. This dish is much better than those recipes with nutritional yeast, and any ex-mac & cheese aficionado vegan will definitely be satisfied!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Macaroni & Cheese
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
For gluten-free vegan macaroni & cheese, swap in gluten-free macaroni noodles (brown rice or quinoa work well) and gluten-free all purpose flour.
For soy-free: Earth Balance offers a soy-free margarine and use soy-free cheese substitute like Daiya.
- 2 cup macaroni
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine (like Earth Balance)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- 4 oz. dairy-free cheddar cheese substitute
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Cook pasta until barely tender; drain and set aside.
- Melt margarine in a saucepan and add flour. Slowly add the soy milk, constantly whisking the mixture. If the consistency is not thick enough, slowly sprinkle in some flour, starting with ½ T and adding more if necessary. Meanwhile, continue whisking. Add cheese, garlic, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper. Whisk until sauce is thick and smooth.
- Combine sauce and pasta, and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 375 degrees in a greased casserole dish for at least 30 minutes. Or until the top is golden and crispy.