Special Diet Notes: Pasta and Vegetables in a Cream Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup margarine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup flour
- 1⅔ cups dairy-free milk beverage, brought to room temperature or lightly heated, but not boiled
- 2 cups fresh vegetables, cut into small pieces (try broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, and zucchini)
- 1 lb. pasta, cooked
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute until tender. Add the oregano, thyme, and rosemary, and saute a few minutes more. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the margarine, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Return the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally until the margarine melts.
- Add the flour a tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition to avoid lumps. Stir until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Slowly wisk in the soymilk.
- Place the vegetables in a steamer or metal sieve over boiling water, and steam until just tender. To serve, toss the vegetables with the freshly cooked pasta. Pour the sauce over the pasta and vegetables, and toss to mix.