This Penne with Creamy Low-Fat Pesto and Vegetables recipe was pulled from a prior issue of Vegetarian Times magazine.
Notes: The leftover steaming water produces a tasty vitamin-packed broth, which is perfect for thinning and warming the pesto. For a variation, substitute flat-leaf parsley and walnuts for the basil and pine nuts.
Special Diet Notes: Penne with Creamy Low-Fat Pesto and Vegetables
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Optionally gluten-free.
- 4 oz. green beans, trimmed and halved (1 cup)
- 12 oz. penne (white, whole wheat, or gluten-free if needed)
- 12 oz. small red potatoes (about 6), cut into ¾-inch chunks
- ¼ cup pine nuts (1½ oz.)
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups fresh basil leaves
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ cup firm silken tofu (4 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for pasta.
- Make pesto: In dry small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium-low heat, stirring, until light golden and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and let cool.
- Using a mortar and pestle or side of chef's knife, mash garlic and 1 teaspoon salt until paste forms. Transfer to food processor along with toasted pine nuts, basil and pepper flakes and process until finely chopped. Add tofu and oil and process until mixture is smooth. Transfer to medium bowl and season with freshly ground pepper to taste. Set pesto aside.
- Place potatoes in a steamer basket in large saucepan over 2 cups boiling water and season with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook 4 minutes. Add green beans to steamer basket, cover and cook until potatoes and beans are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to large serving bowl; cover to keep warm. Measure ⅓ cup water remaining in steamer and stir into pesto until well blended.
- Meanwhile, add penne to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving a little cooking water. Add pasta to vegetables along with pesto, adding a little reserved pasta water if needed. Toss to coat well and serve hot.