For a cheesier vegan mac and no cheese, double the nutritional yeast.
Special Diet Note: Vegan Mac and No Cheese
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 (8 ounce) package uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cashews
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1⅓ cups water
- salt to taste
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers, drained
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Transfer to a medium baking dish.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender and lightly browned. Gently mix with the macaroni.
- In a blender or food processor, mix cashews, lemon juice, water, and salt. Gradually blend in canola oil, roasted red peppers, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and onion powder. Blend until smooth. Thoroughly mix with the macaroni and onions.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving.