This dairy-free version of Paula Deen’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe was shared with us by Go Dairy Free viewer Liz. She adapted it from the Food Network.
Special Diet Notes: Almost Paula Deen’s Pumpkin Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked dairy-free pie crust (can use gluten free, if needed)
- 1 (8-ounce) package dairy-free cream cheese alternative (Liz uses Tofutti, but you can use a soy-free one if preferred)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup melted dairy-free buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- Coconut whip or dairy-free vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Place the pre-made pie dough into a 9-inch pie pan and gently press it into the bottom and sides. Pinch and crimp the edge to make a pretty pattern.
- Put the pie shell back into the freezer for 1 hour to firm up.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Fit a piece of aluminum foil to cover the inside of the shell completely. Fill the shell up to the edges with pie weights or dried beans (about 2 pounds) and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pie weights and foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until the crust is dried out and beginning to turn golden.
- While the crust is baking, put the cream cheese alternative in a large mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt, and beat until combined. Add the eggs and yolks, coconut milk, and melted buttery spread and melted butter, and beat until combined. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger (if using) and beat until incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the warm prepared pie crust and even it out.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the center of the pie is set.
- Place the pie on a wire rack and let it cool to room temperature. Optionally refrigerate the pie for 2 hours or more to make it firmer.
- Slice the pie and optionally top each slice with dairy-free whip or ice cream to serve.
Key Pantry Supplies: Almost Paula Deen’s Pumpkin Pie