This recipe for strawberry almond coffee cake is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Susan Asanovic. To qualify, the recipe includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk and Greek-Style Almond Yogurt by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Peach-Berry Almond Coffee Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
- ½ cup diced strawberries
- ⅞ cup coconut sugar or raw sugar (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 8 ounces So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus Almond Milk
- 5 ounces So Delicious Dairy Free Strawberry Cultured Almond Milk (1 container less 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- 1 large early season peach, scrubbed, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon confectioner’s pure cane sugar, optional
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or raw sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray or oil an 8”-9” tube pan.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, almond flour, flax and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a larger bowl beat coconut oil with sugar until thoroughly combined and creamy; add half the almond milk, half the dry ingredients, remaining almond milk, the cultured almond milk, almond extract, and remaining dry ingredients. Beat at slow speed until smooth. Stir in strawberries. Pour into prepared pan, scatter with blueberries and arrange peach slices on top.
- Sprinkle topping (below) and hazelnuts over all.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges and a cake tester comes out with just a few crumbs clinging. Sift with confectioner’s sugar before serving, if you like.
- Combine flour, salt, sugar and cinnamon. Drizzle with coconut oil and combine with dry ingredients until crumbly, using a fork or your fingers.