Could you use a cool and creamy treat that’s healthier, inexpensive, and doesn’t involve an ice cream maker or freezer molds? Try these peanut butter nice cream sandwiches. They’re made with simple, nutritious, blended banana “nice cream” that’s sandwiched between chocolate graham crackers. The recipe can even be adapted to suit almost any dietary need.
Peanut Butter Nice Cream Sandwiches are So Easy and Customizable
This recipe for peanut butter nice cream sandwiches was originally shared with us by Jif. It was a winner in their “Most Creative Sandwich” recipe contest. But we have updated it, and now have alternatives to cover your dietary and ingredient FAQs.
Are there Gluten-Free Alternatives for the Graham Crackers?
I’m Strictly Vegan. What are My Honey-Free Options?
Some store brands of graham crackers are honey-free, but they can be hard to locate. If you can’t find any, use the vegan suggestions in the gluten-free options above. For the sweetener in the nice cream, feel free to substitute your sweetener of choice. You can use maple syrup, agave nectar, brown rice syrup, brown sugar, etc.
Should I use Salted or Unsalted Peanut Butter?
We prefer to use salted. It adds contrast to the flavor and helps to emphasize the sweetness. If you use unsalted, I would add a pinch of salt before blending. But that’s personal preference.
Can I Make Peanut-Free Nice Cream Sandwiches?
Of course! You can use almond butter or cashew butter if nuts are okay. Or choose sunflower seed butter, pea butter or soy butter if you need peanut- and tree nut-free. All are delicious.
Special Diet Notes: Peanut Butter Nice Cream Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Just be sure to pick the graham crackers that suit your dietary needs. See the info above for simple gluten-free, peanut-free, and vegan options.
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1-inch slices
- ⅓ cup all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey, or to taste
- 8 chocolate graham crackers (can sub plain graham crackers; see post above for gluten-free and vegan options)
- Freeze the banana slices on a baking sheet or parchment paper for at least 1 hour.
- Place the frozen banana slices, peanut butter, and honey in your high power blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture onto graham cracker and place another graham cracker on top, to make a total of 4 sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches in the freezer and let sit for at least 1 hour, or until the middle is frozen.
- Store leftovers in a freezer bag in the freezer.
this is the best idea for an after school snack!