These peanut butter pancakes have a fresh PB&J vibe and are a unique, higher-protein way to use up opened or homemade pancake mix. Plus, I think they’re an easy yet special treat to reward yourself and loved ones with over the weekend.
This recipe with photo for Peanut Butter Pancakes with Grapes was shared with us by grapesfromcalifornia.com.
Picking Dairy-Free Pancake Mix
The original recipe for these peanut butter pancakes calls for a “complete” pancake mix. These types of mixes have “just add water” instructions, but are almost always dairy-full. Fortunately, you can use your favorite “incomplete” dairy-free pancake mix in this recipe. It just may require you to add oil, eggs, and/or another ingredient in the preparation. Follow the directions on the package and you should be just fine!
A few dairy-free pancake mixes that I recommend include:
- Bob’s Red Mill Pancake Mixes – They have several varieties to choose from, including High-Fiber, 7-Grain, and Gluten-Free. But be aware that their Buttermilk version does contain dairy. Read my full review here.
- Cherrybrook Kitchen Pancake Mixes – When fluffy indulgence is in order, this mix company has you covered. I haven’t trialed their pancake mixes, but have heard great things They have wheat-based and gluten-free pancake mixes, which are both vegan and allergy-safe for eggs, dairy, and tree nuts.
- Namaste Foods Gluten-Free Waffle & Pancake Mix – This is a reliable brand with a top allergen-free facility, and the resultant pancakes are pretty darn delicious. Read my full review here.
Special Diet Notes: Cheater Peanut Butter Pancakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy and optionally egg-free, gluten-free, tree nut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian, depending on the pancake mix that you use. See my notes above for pancake mix suggestions.
- 2 cups dairy-free pancake mix (see post above) + preparation ingredients
- 5 tablespoons peanut butter powder
- 3 cups halved green or red California grapes
- ¼ cup chopped unsalted (or salted!) peanuts
- Warm maple syrup, for serving
- Prepare the pancake mix according to package instructions. Gently stir in the peanut butter powder.
- Let the batter sit while you preheat a griddle or large skillet and brush it lightly with oil.
- Cook the pancakes, ¼ cup of batter at a time, until lightly browned on both sides. (I usually flip after bubbles come to the surface, burst, and remain open).
- Divide the pancakes between four plates, and sprinkle each stack with ¾ cup of the grape halves and 1 tablespoon of the peanuts.
- Serve with a small pitcher of warm maple syrup, for drizzling.
More PB&J-Inspired Recipes
Perfectly Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie (vegan, gluten-free & optionally allergy-friendly)
Peanut Butter & Jelly Breakfast Tarts (vegan, nut-free & soy-free)
PB & J Ice Cream Sandwiches (vegan, gluten-free & optionally allergy-friendly)