These peppermint meringues are a naturally dairy-free and gluten-free treat for the holidays. They’re also a great way to use up leftover candy canes once the holidays have passed!
Meringues make a lot with just a little – you really do get 48 cookies with just 2 egg whites! Luckily, the also keep for a while, so you can enjoy these sweet airy bites for many weeks to come. They’re also great for gifting and travel relatively well.
Special Diet Notes: Peppermint Meringues
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
- 2 egg whites, brought to room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Preheat your oven to 225º F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. .
- Put the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl, and beat with a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat, until stiff peaks form.
- Drop the meringue by the spoonful, or pipe it, about 1 inch apart on your prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle the meringues with the crushed peppermint candy.
- Bake for 90 minutes. The meringues should be completely dry on the inside. Do not allow them to brown.
- Turn the off oven, keep the oven door ajar, and let the meringues sit in the oven until completely cool.
- Store the meringues in a cool dry place for up to 2 months.