Though burgers and brats are traditional tailgating fare, sometimes you need to mix things up when preparing that game day spread. This pesto hummus pasta salad offers a vegan, optionally gluten-free, healthier dish for everyone to indulge in.
For a lighter afternoon, this pesto hummus pasta salad can stand alone as a meal, but it’s also a great accompaniment to whatever you may be preparing on the grill. And of course, any leftovers are perfect for packing along to work or school for a Meatless Monday lunch! The recipe and photos were shared with us by Sabra and I couldn’t resist passing this deliciousness on.
Special Diet Notes: Pesto Hummus Pasta Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
Note that Sabra does use soybean oil. For soy-free hummus pasta salad, you will need to use another brand. See the intro in the recipe for tips.
- 1 pound fusilli pasta (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, rough chopped
- 1 cup fennel (2 small bulbs), finely chopped
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and chopped
- ¾ cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- ½ cup chives, minced
- 1 10-ounce container dairy-free basil pesto hummus
- 1 cup pasta cooking water, reserved
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (love this one)
- Fennel fronds, for garnish (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- In a big bowl, toss the vegetables (olives through chives) with the hummus. Add the pasta and pasta water, stir to combine. Sprinkle with black pepper, to taste. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature, drizzle each portion with splash of olive oil and sprinkle fennel fronds overtop.
Pingback: Bean Bytes 164
What a great way to use hummus! I’ve never though about something like this. I’ll definitely be giving this a shot! I bet it would be easy to make it into a single serving dish for a quick lunch!
This looks and sounds great! I adore fennel so it’s lovely to see it here in this recipe 🙂
O I love this!! Such a fantastic pasta dish!!! All the flavors and the salty olives….so good!
We love a good pasta salad, but don’t have it often enough! I didn’t even know about this flavor of hummus by Sabra. And I love pesto versions of everything. 🙂 Thanks for the recipe and the tip, Alisa!