This recipe for pistachio crusted salmon is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Debbie Reid. For the creamy lemon pasta, she uses Almond Plus Almond Milk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Pistachio Crusted Salmon
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Note that the salmon by itself is gluten-free and grain-free while the linguine alone is vegan and vegetarian.
- 4 ounces linguine
- 4 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- ¾ pound salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into two serving pieces
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Almond Milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers, minced
- Garnish: lemon slices
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 - 3 quarts of water to a rolling boil over high heat. Add in the linguine, and salt to taste, and cook according to package directions 2 minutes shy of al dente. Add in the asparagus, continue to cook to al dente; drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the finely chopped pistachios onto a flat medium-sized plate. Season the salmon with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place salmon onto pistachios and coat both sides with the pistachios, pressing them into the salmon. Set aside remaining chopped pistachios.
- Place 2 tablespoons oil into a large non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat. Add in the salmon and cook until pistachio coating is golden brown and salmon is cooked through, approximately 3 minutes per side; set aside, keep warm.
- Place the large saucepan back over medium-high heat. Add in remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the almond milk and nutmeg and cook until it begins to thicken, approximately 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, capers, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add in the linguine and asparagus and toss to coat.
- To serve, place linguine off-center onto serving plates, place salmon onto remaining portion of plate, slightly onto the linguine. Garnish using 1 - 2 tablespoons of the remaining chopped pistachios and lemon slices.