According to tradition in the South, the first food you should eat on New Year’s Day should be black-eyed peas for luck and prosperity. We think this confetti black-eyed pea with rice salad will help you ring in a year of good health, too. It’s a plant-based dish that’s also gluten-free and allergy-friendly. The recipe is so well-balanced and such a good source of fiber and protein that you can enjoy it as a light main or a hearty side.
Confetti Black-Eyed Pea & Brown Rice Salad for Good Fortune and Health
This plant-based recipe keeps things very clean and simple. It’s a nutritious blend of whole grains, black-eyed peas, and vegetables with just a splash of olive oil. It’s a great option for just about anyone, including those on heavily restricted diets. But I do have a few tips to make this confetti black eyed-pea salad your own.
Tips for Seasoning this Plant-Based Rice Salad
- Salt – If you aren’t on a strict low-sodium diet, I recommend adding a little salt, to taste. You can start with just 1/8 teaspoon and add more as desired.
- Salt-Free Seasoning – If you must stick to a relatively salt-free diet, you can still season with your favorite salt-free seasoning for a different flavor.
- Spices – Don’t be afraid to consult your spice rack when tossing this recipe together. We love the basics, like garlic powder and onion powder, in plant-based dishes like this. But you might like some smoked paprika, chili powder, or other seasoning.
- Hot Sauce – A few drops of Cholula or a squirt of sriracha would add a nice kick!
- Vinaigrette – You can omit the oil and water, and drizzle in your favorite dairy-free vinaigrette, if preferred. Vogue Vinaigrette is a popular brand that’s made without added sugars, and so is Tessame’s.
- Olive Oil – The recipe uses part extra-virgin olive oil, part water, to keep it low fat. If you prefer to add more richness to your diet, use 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and omit the water.
This plant-based black-eyed pea and brown rice salad recipe with photo was shared with us by Aramark’s wellness blog at fyp365.com.
Special Diet Notes: Confetti Black-Eyed Pea & Brown Rice Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, added sugar-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole-kernel corn (can sub fresh cut corn)
- 1 (8½-ounce) package brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2 medium ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, stir together the peas, corn, rice, celery, bell pepper, parsley, olive oil, water, and black pepper until combined.
- If desired, season with some of our tips from the post above.
More Plant-Based Recipes to Kick-Off a Healthy New Year