It hasn’t been on purpose, but we seem to be very Disney on Go Dairy Free lately! I just finished our Disneyland Dairy-Free Guide (don’t worry, I’m working on Disney World, too). And we’ve featured several Disney-inspired recipes, like No Bake Banana “Cheesecake” Bars, Cucumber Tea Sandwiches, and today’s recipe, Creole quinoa salad.
Creole Quinoa Salad that’s Fit for a Plant-Based Princess
This nutritious recipe was shared with us by the Dole Food Company, and was created for their healthy-living tribute to Disney’s Ultimate Princess Celebration. The recipe was inspired by The Princess and The Frog, an animated film set in New Orleans. The princess in the story is modeled after the Queen of Creole Cuisine, Leah Chase.
This Creole quinoa salad is naturally rich in vitamins and minerals, and incorporates vegetables that you can find year round. We like it as a fresh summer salad, a light lunch for school or work, or as a side or dinner bowls.
Special Diet Notes: Creole Quinoa Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan optional, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1½ tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey (sub agave nectar for strictly vegan)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the garbanzo beans, 1 teaspoon oil, and Cajun seasoning. Spread the seasoned beans in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp. Let cool completely.
- Toss beans, 1 teaspoon oil and seasoning in a medium bowl; spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking pan. Roast 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp; cool completely.
- While the garbanzo beans cook, prepare the quinoa as directed on the package.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, honey, vinegar, salt, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Fold in the avocado, avocado, arugula, tomatoes, and cooked quinoa. Serve topped with the crispy garbanzo beans.