Unlike most Hawaiian fried rice recipes, this version is truly inspired by the tropics. It shuns heavy ingredients, like ham, spam, eggs, grains, and copious amounts of oil. Instead, this Hawaiian Cauliflower Fried Rice is vegan-friendly, grain-free, and filled with fresh ingredients that you can find at almost any store. You can enjoy it as a side, or add your favorite protein to make it a more filling main dish.
Hawaiian Cauliflower Fried Rice made with Fresh, Plant-Based Ingredients
I know, we’ve been sharing a lot of Dole-created recipes lately, but they are just so darn inspiring. And so many of them are naturally or creatively dairy free! It seems their chefs are working over time in the kitchen to celebrate the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables.
This particular recipe caught my eye because it’s very produce-centric. Somehow, they took a dish that’s typically just meat, rice, and oil, with pineapple thrown in, and turned it into a vegetable-heavy creation. It’s the perfect addition to family-style meals or as a base for lunch bowls.
Special Diet Notes: Hawaiian Cauliflower Fried Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo friendly.
- 1 large head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups coleslaw
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup coconut aminos (can sub soy sauce or gluten-free tamari)
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- ¼ cup salted dry roasted macadamia nuts, chopped (omit for nut-free)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Pulse the cauliflower in your food processor blender about 10 times, or until it reaches a rice-like consistency. You might need to do this in batches.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion is tender. Stir in the coleslaw, bell pepper, coconut aminos, and riced cauliflower. Cook for 8 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the cauliflower rice topped with the pineapple and sprinkled with the macadamia nuts and green onions.