You can enjoy eating your vegetables in a new way with these simple layered taco salads. The recipe incorporates some unique ingredients into a goddess-style avocado dressing that’s completely plant-based and dairy-free. It looks pretty and is easy to pack along in mason jars, but you can simply toss the salad together if preferred.
Plant-Based Layered Taco Salads with Easy Avocado Dressing
These simple layered taco salads are loaded with crunchy fresh produce and vegan protein sources. You can certainly mix up the layers with whatever you have on hand, or omit any ingredients that you aren’t a fan of.
The original recipe uses a little queso fresco on top, but we either omit it, or substitute a dairy-free feta. Although not identical, when used in such a small amount, dairy-free feta is a good substitute for queso fresco. I like to use the feta recipe from Go Dairy Free, but there are additional options. You can purchase Violife Feta or Follow Your Heart Feta, or make your own Almond Feta.
This recipe with photo for layered taco salads was shared with us by Nakano, the makers of one of my favorite ingredients, rice vinegar.
Special Diet Notes: Layered Taco Salads
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon minced serrano pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup jicama, diced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup extra-firm tofu, diced
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tablespoons crumbled dairy-free feta (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado. Add the rice vinegar, sesasme oil, cilantro, lime juice, serrano pepper, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Layer the corn, red cabbage, jicama, black beans, green cabbage, tomatoes, tofu, tortilla chips, spinach and dairy-free feta (if using) in two glass jars, bowls, or parfait glasses, while drizzling dressing between the layers.