This bright and fresh Moroccan chickpea salad has a fragrant plant-based dressing. On its own, this makes a wonderful light meal. But you can add cooked fish or chicken for a heartier main dish.
If preferred, you can toss the chunky ingredients and serve it atop lettuce. If you don’t have any lettuce on hand, you can alternatively toss the dressing, chickpeas, and vegetables with cooked brown rice or pasta. It’s excellent served warm, but you can also refrigerated it, which allows the dressing flavors to develop.
We originally shared this recipe back in 2010, when Levana shared it with us. But we’ve recently updated it.
Special Diet Notes: Plant-Based Moroccan Chickpea Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 celery ribs, peeled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed and optionally seeded
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons cumin, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 3 romaine hearts, sliced very thin, or other salad greens
- 3 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 plum or cherry tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 1 cup pitted Moroccan (oil-cured) olives
- ¼ cup capers (optional)
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, finely grind the garlic, celery, jalapeño, parsley, and lemon zest. Add the oil, lemon juice, cumin, oregano, and hot sauce (if using). Pulse until combined but still chunky or puree.
- Put the lettuce, chickpeas, tomatoes, olives, and capers (if using) in a large bowl and toss.
- Serve the salad with the dressing or toss the dressing with the salad if you will be serving it all immediately.