Tony and I love “street” tacos, but it wasn’t until a recent trip to Mexico that we discovered some “new to us” fillings. Vegan options are also trending south of the boarder, and these plant-based mushroom tacos are similar to a variety that we tried on our diversion down the Baja. But the addition of chipotle hummus is a distinctly different twist.
Plant-Based Mushroom Tacos add a Fresh Twist to Casual Occasions
In Mexico, flavors are kept light but often spicy, to suit the climate. In fact, fresh vegetables are used much more than cheese as toppings. This recipe combines those light flavors with some earthy, comforting ingredients, to make them suitable year round.
You can serve these plant-based mushroom tacos as an entree, or as finger food at a party. They’re great for backyard barbecues (you can grill the mushrooms!), superbowl parties, and even weeknight dinners.
This plant-based mushroom tacos recipe with photo was shared with us by Sabra.com, but we have made some slight dairy-free modifications.
Special Diet Notes: Plant-Based Mushroom Tacos
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Some brands of hummus do contain soy oil, so be sure to pick the one that meets your dietary needs.
- ¾ cup classic hummus (like Sabra)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ cup finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hummus and chipotle powder.
- Put the cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Using clean hands, crunch or squeeze together the ingredients to bruise the cabbage and incorporate.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and saute for about 6 minutes, or until all sides of the mushrooms are browned. Remove the mushrooms from pan.
- Using the hot pan, add the tortillas one at a time to warm them up, about 20 seconds on each side.
- Spread the tortillas with the chipotle hummus. Place the sauteed mushrooms in the centers of tortillas. Top with the slaw and dairy-free cheese alternative, if desired. Optionally serve with lime wedges.