This recipe for polenta with dairy-free alfredo sauce is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Lily Erlic. To qualify, she uses 8 ingredients or less, including Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Polenta with Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free and dairy-free alfredo sauce, I would try your favorite gluten-free flour blend or sweet white rice flour as a flour substitute.
Alisa’s Note: The original recipe called for 4 cups of milk alternative, which resulted in thin soup when we trialed it. We’ve reduced the amount significantly, allowing you to whisk in as much as you like for your desired consistency. We needed no more than 2 cups.
- 2 cups polenta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1-3 cups So Delicious Dairy-Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 of each red and green peppers, chopped
- Cook polenta according to package directions.
- Pour into a 9x12-inch casserole dish.
- In a medium sized pot add coconut butter, flour, sea salt, garlic powder and nutritional yeast. Stir well.
- Cook for a minute stirring constantly.
- Whisk in 1 cup coconut milk beverage. Bring to a boil while whisking continuously. Whisk in additional milk alternative as needed to get your desired consistency. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over polenta. Place chopped peppers on top.