Stir fries are a staple in our home, so I’m always on the lookout for new flavor ideas. This Garlic Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry is my latest discovery. It’s made with a variety of fresh vegetables, and seasoned with ponzu sauce – a Japanese favorite! The whole dish can be ready in less than 30 minutes, from slicing to serving.
This Garlic Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry is Healthy Dinner in Minutes
It might be called “garlic shrimp,” but I think the real star of this show is citrus-y ponzu sauce. Together with the brown sugar and rice vinegar it makes a teriyaki style sauce that’s a little less sweet, brighter, and has more complex flavors. Ponzu sauce is sold in most grocery stores, in the Asian section, but it can also be ordered online.
Stir-fries are also a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen. Younger kids can pick the vegetables and make the sauce. Older kids can also help prep the vegetables, peel and devein the shrimp, and prepare the rice. Teens who are proficient with the stove can even learn to make this meal on their own! It’s an easy dish to learn since shrimp are quick and easy to cook.
This Garlic Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry recipe with photo was shared with us by Mizkan America, makers of Japanese sauces and rice vinegars.
Special Diet Notes: Garlic Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- ½ cup ponzu sauce (like Mizkan)
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup ponzu sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (like Mizkan)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon non-GMO cornstarch (can sub arrowroot starch)
- 2 tablespoons oil (for high heat)
- 1 pound (about 21-25) raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sugar-snap peas
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Add the water, rice, and ponzu sauce to a small pot, and cook according to rice directions.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vegetable stock, ponzu sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and cornstarch until the starch is dissolved.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the shrimp just turns pink.
- Add the red onion and cook 1 minute. Add the bell pepper, snap peas, broccoli, carrots, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the reserved sauce and cook for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Divide the rice among four bowls and top with the shrimp stir fry. Garnish each bowl with the scallions and sesame seeds, to serve.