This Pumpkin Banana Bread merges two classic quick bread flavors into one. But unlike most other recipes, this version is dairy-free, whole grain, and downright nutritious. Perhaps because it was created by a dietitian!
Special Diet Notes: Pumpkin Banana Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free and vegetarian.
For egg-free and vegan pumpkin banana bread, you can swap the egg and egg whites with your favorite egg replacer, equivalent to 3 whole eggs. I think aquafaba or powdered egg replacer (like Ener-G, VeganEgg, or Bob’s Red Mill) will work quite well.
- 2 mashed, ripe bananas (about ¾ cup)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup rice bran oil or your baking oil of choice
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups white-wheat flour (this is 100% whole wheat)
- ½ cup rolled or old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar of choice*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease an 8x4-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the banana, pumpkin puree, oil, egg, and egg whites to a mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer on low speed.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and beat until just moist. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 to 7 days. Leftover slices can also be frozen.
Nuts?: The picture Shanna provided looks like the recipe contains nuts, but it doesn't. If you want your loaf to look just like the picture, you can fold in ½ cup chopped nuts after you have mixed in the flour blend.