This unique pumpkin seed parsley pesto recipe is made without any cheese, nuts, or basil! By definition, this is a slight detour from a true “pesto.” But it has the same vibrant hue, a similar flavor profile, and just as much versatility. Think of it as pesto meets chimmichurri, and enjoy it tossed with cooked pasta or rice, steamed or roasted vegetables, a baked potato, or your favorite protein.
Special Diet Notes: Pumpkin Seed Parsley Pesto
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons vegetable broth or stock
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a skillet. Dry roast them over low heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until they are toasted and finish popping. Remove from heat and cool.
- Transfer the seeds to a blender. Add the parsley, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and salt.
- With the blender motor running, slowly add the oil and broth, blending until the sauce is smooth.
- Toss the pesto with hot pasta and serve immediately or transfer it to an airtight ontainer and refrigerate for up to 3 days.