Fall may be past, but the warm flavors of pumpkin and spice offer nourishing goodness that I relish throughout the year. And this pumpkin spice protein shake has a double-dose of my favorite squash: pumpkin puree and straight up pumpkin seed protein.
This easy, rich and nutrient-dense pumpkin spice protein shake combines the wonderful flavors of pumpkin pie with less sugars and more wholesome ingredients. And if you are concerned about the lite coconut milk overwhelming, don’t be. The subtle flavor melds very nicely with pumpkin, which has a more assertive taste.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Pumpkin Spice Protein Shake
By ingredients, this recipe is daiy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian and paleo.
Banana allergy? I seem to get a lot of requests for banana-free smoothies! If you can’t do bananas, I recommend increasing the pumpkin a bit (perhaps to 1/2 cup) and adding a couple pitted medjool dates along with 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and ice to reach your desired consistency. You may not need any stevia or additional sweetener in this version of the pumpkin spice protein shake (beyond the recommended touch of maple syrup) as dates are quite sweet in their own right.
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 medium to large ripe frozen banana, broken into chunks
- ½ cup lite coconut milk (I use So Delicious Lite Culinary Coconut Milk)
- 1 scoop pumpkin seed protein powder (I use Sprout Living Pure Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 8 to 10 drops vanilla stevia (I use NuNaturals Pure Liquid Vanilla Stevia) or your favorite sweetener, to taste
- Generous pinch salt
- Place all ingredients in your blender and puree until smooth. If too thick, drizzle in more light coconut milk to blend and reach your desired consistency.
- If desired, top with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon.