This is the perfect time of year to renew your family’s healthy eating habits by getting in a lunchbox groove. Packing a healthy school lunch day after day can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. By taking the free Power Your Lunchbox Promise, you can gain access to customizable, make-ahead lunchbox inspiration like the Rainbow Bento Box recipe below. It creatively uses six colors of fruits and veggies, plus protein-packed deli spirals, to keep kids’ brains charged all day.
Making the promise also helps those in need. For every promise, health-forward partner brands will collectively donate $1 to Feeding America programs that support families and children.
The Promise website includes kid- and registered dietitian-approved breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner recipes. But not all are dairy-free. However, there are some great ideas, coupons, healthy tips, and giveaways to keep you motivated. There is also a special teachers section where they can make the promise as a classroom and download free fruit and veggie themed classroom decor and lesson plans.
This rainbow bento box recipe with photo was shared with us by Produce for Kids to help poweryourlunchbox.com.
Special Diet Notes: Rainbow Bento Box
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, and optionally vegetarian.
- 2 red mini sweet peppers, sliced
- 1 mandarin, peeled and segmented
- 1 kiwi, sliced
- ½ cup sugar snap peas
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ½ cup red seedless grapes
- 1 large spinach tortilla wrap (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- 2 slices dairy-free cheese alternative (optional, or can sub chopped olives)
- 2 ounces low-sodium deli-sliced turkey or vegan deli meat alternative
- ½ cup baby spinach, chopped
- Assemble two lunchboxes each with half of the peppers, mandarin, kiwi, snap peas, blueberries and grapes in that order, from back to front, to make a rainbow.
- Lay the wrap on a flat surface. Spread it with the hummus and top with the cheese alternative (if using), turkey, and spinach.
- Roll the wrap up tightly and slice it into 1-inch thick rounds. Place half in each lunchbox.
Best Bento Boxes