This raw vegan Chocolate Cream Pie recipe was shared with us by Manitoba Harvest many years ago, but we’ve given it an update! It was created by Kristen Suzanne, author of numerous raw food cookbooks. She infuses each naturally dairy-free and gluten-free bite with real cacao, fresh coconut, healthy hemp seeds, and the perfect amount of natural sweeteners.
Raw Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie made with Allergy-Friendly Superfoods
Unlike most raw recipes, this one is free of tree nuts! It uses other fresh ingredients, like avocado, for a creamy consistency.
The recipe includes an optional strawberry coulis. It isn’t pictured here, because it’s used as a topping once sliced. If desired, make it just before serving. The chocolate cream pie itself can be made in advance and frozen for a convenient, impressive dessert.
Special Diet Notes: Raw Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- ⅓ cup cacao nibs
- 1¼ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup shelled hemp seeds (also known as hemp hearts)
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- Dash cayenne
- ¼ cup raw agave nectar
- 5 dates, pitted
- ¾ cup raw cocoa powder
- ¾ cup young Thai coconut water
- Meat from one young Thai coconut (at least a ½ cup)
- ½ cup raw agave nectar
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 5 dates, pitted and soaked for 20 minutes, drained
- 1 tablespoon hemp protein powder
- 1 tablespoon green powder or more protein powder
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen strawberries, thawed (or fresh, stemmed)
- ¼ cup raw agave nectar
- Grind the cacao nibs in your food processor, fitted with the “S” blade (or a spice grinder), until they’re broken up nicely, somewhat of a coarse powder. Add the coconut, seeds, salt and cayenne and process for a few seconds to incorporate all of the ingredients. Add the agave and dates and process until the mixture starts to stick together.
- Press the crust into the tart pan until it’s smoothly and firmly inside the pan. This crust is a little sticky, so using some coconut oil on you hands or a spatula can help.
- Place the crust in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Blend all of the ingredients until creamy. Pour the filling on top of the crust.
- Place the pie in the freezer for about 1½ hours to set.
- Blend all of the ingredients together.
- Slice the chilled pie, and top each slice with the Sweet Strawberry Coulis, if using. Store leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer.