My first encounter with green chimichurri sauce was just a few years ago. It was love at first taste, so I was immediately intrigued by this red chimichurri sauce recipe. It’s a Brazilian-inspired condiment that gets fiery flavor from smoked paprika, crushed red pepper and jalapeno. The recipe was originally created to pair with steak skewers, pork, or chicken. However, red chimichurri sauce is naturally plant-based. And it’s equally delicious with vegan meals that feature tofu, tempeh, or beans.
This Red Chimichurri Sauce recipe with photo was shared with us by McCormick.
Special Diet Notes: Red Chimichurri Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed and cut into large pieces
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves (can sub parsley, if preferred)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place all of the ingredients in your food processor or blender, and process or pulse until finely chopped.
- Pour the sauce into an airtight container, and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes before serving. This gives the flavors some time to meld.
More Saucy Recipes for All
Spicy Heirloom Tomato Sauce (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Instant Homemade Barbecue Sauce (vegan, gluten-free & nut-free)
Everyday Thai Peanut Sauce (vegan, gluten-free & optionally allergy-friendly)