This prize-winning recipe was originally shared with us by The Cook’s Kitchen, a site that Melody Wren wrote for. Her rhubarb pecan muffins won the CBC radio contest for the best muffin recipe in Canada several years ago.
Special Diet Notes: Rhubarb Pecan Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. You can enjoy them nut-free by simply omitting the pecans!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute part whole wheat pastry flour)
- ¾ cup sugar (can substitute your favorite granulated sweetener)
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (see post above for egg-free / vegan options)
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup grapeseed, rice bran, or other neutral baking oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1¼ cups fine chopped fresh rhubarb
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease 12 large muffin cups.
- Place the flour, sugar, pecans, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the egg to a mixing bowl and whisk to emulsify it. Add the juice, oil, and zest and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until moist. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Divide the batter between your prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin cups before removing the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.