This popular recipe was originally shared with us in 2009 by The Cook’s Kitchen, a site that Melody Wren wrote for. Her rhubarb pecan muffins won the CBC radio contest for the best muffin recipe in Canada several years ago. We’ve updated the recipe and added nut-free, egg-free, and vegan options, just in time for rhubarb season!
Special Diet Notes: Rhubarb Pecan Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. You can enjoy them nut-free by simply omitting the pecans!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute part whole wheat pastry flour)
- ¾ cup sugar (can substitute your favorite granulated sweetener)
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (see post above for egg-free / vegan options)
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup grapeseed, rice bran, or other neutral baking oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1¼ cups fine chopped fresh rhubarb
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease 12 large muffin cups.
- Place the flour, sugar, pecans, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the egg to a mixing bowl and whisk to emulsify it. Add the juice, oil, and zest and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until moist. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Divide the batter between your prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin cups before removing the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
More Pecan-Spiked Muffin Recipes
Roasted Butternut Squash Muffins (optionally vegan & soy-free)
Sweet Morning Glory Muffins (optionally vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
Apple Pecan French Toast Muffins (optionally gluten-free & soy-free)