You know how much I love Asian food, right? If you have been following this website for even one month, then you should have noticed this by now. Americanized or authentic, if the recipe concept is from China, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Korea, or Thailand then I will probably love it. So when the publisher of the new cookbook Vegan 101: Master Vegan Cooking with 101 Great Recipes offered to share a sample vegetable stir fry recipe, I simply couldn’t say no.
Vegan 101 is one of the first offerings in Agate Surrey’s brand-new 101 series, providing readers with 101 well-tested vegan recipes, presented in a clean, simple, easy-to-use format, along with basic kitchen advice and helpful how-to tips. To add global flare, and increase its appeal to both beginner and veteran vegan cooks, the recipes in Vegan 101 are drawn from a wide variety of regional cuisines. Vegan 101 was designed with practicality in mind, too. I had a peek inside, and it is simply and attractively laid out, contains several full color photos, and according to the publisher, it has a “lay flat” binding for ease of use in the kitchen!
Some of the recipes in Vegan 101 that caught my eye include:
- Hot Ginger Lemonade
- Sesame Wonton Cups with Sweet Sesame Dressing
- Sloppy Joes
- Vietnamese Curried Coconut Soup
- French-Style Onion Pizza
- Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Brazilian Black Bean Bake
- Sugar-Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Pearl Onions
- Pumpkin Cookies with Classic Icing
- Double Evil Brownies
- … and this Rice Noodle & Vegetable Stir Fry …
Special Diet Notes: Vegetable Stir Fry with Rice Noodles
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a gluten-free vegetable stir fry, swap in wheat-free tamari for the soy sauce and use a gluten-free brand of Szechuan sauce, like San-J.
- 1 package (8 ounces) rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (can sub your favorite high-heat oil)
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 cup cubed yellow summer squash
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ½ cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 2 cups (473 mL) shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup (236 mL) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) dry sherry (optional)
- 2-3 teaspoons (10-15 mL) light soy sauce
- ½-1 teaspoon (2.5-5 mL) Szechuan chili sauce
- Place the noodles in a large bowl; cover with cold water. Let stand until the noodles separate and are soft, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet. Add the green beans, squash, celery, bell pepper, green onions, and ginger and stir fry until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Stir in the noodles and remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the noodles have absorbed all liquid, about 5 minutes.