This roasted strawberry dessert soup boasts some surprising complimentary flavors that could elevate your next dinner party or simply soothe your sweet tooth as we transition from the fresh flavors of summer into the warmth of fall.
The recipe was submitted by Maria Joe Hema as a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!). The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for roasted strawberry dessert soup uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious Dairy Free.
Special Diet Notes: Roasted Strawberry Dessert Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For paleo roasted strawberry dessert soup, substitute lite coconut milk for the coconut milk beverage, and use your favorite paleo-approved sweetener. In this case, coconut sugar or honey may go nicely – adjust to taste.
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1¼ cups + 1 tablespoon unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (Maria used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage), divided
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, cut in half and seeds removed
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons triple sec
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 basil leaves, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Toss the strawberries and ⅓ cup sugar together in a 8-inch glass baking pan and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- While the strawberries are roasting, place the jalapeno in 1¼ cups of the coconut milk beverage and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Add the roasted strawberries (along all the accumulated syrup), coconut milk beverage (discard the jalapeno), 2 basil leaves, lemon juice, triple sec, and salt to a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour the dessert soup into serving bowls and garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut milk beverage and the chopped fresh basil.