There’s something special about roasted vegetables. That wonderful caramelization creates an addictive sweet and savory flavor. I love roasted vegetables on bowls, pizzas, and salads; so why not tacos? These delicious roasted vegetable street tacos are naturally allergy-friendly and vegan, and loaded with so much plant-based goodness. They’re tasty way to add nutrition at casual gatherings, like the Super Bowl, but easy and affordable enough for a weeknight meal.
Roasted Vegetable Street Tacos for the Healthy Handheld Win
This is another delicious recipe from the Healthier by Dole campaign that I simply had to share. Not only is it simple, cheap, and everyone-friendly, this dish is also very versatile. You can mix up the vegetables, use your favorite tortillas, swap in lettuce wraps, and get fancy with toppings – like different salsas. You can also substitute regular refried beans for the refried black beans, if desired.
I like to use a homemade taco seasoning because many store-bought brands do contain milk. And because it is super-easy to make and tastes more fresh. But if you can find a packet without dairy, feel free to use it! The chefs at Dole like to use a lower-sodium variety.
Special Diet Notes: Roasted Vegetable Street Tacos
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dairy-free taco seasoning mix (with lower sodium amount)
- 1 cup low fat refried black beans
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 12 street taco size lower carb whole wheat tortillas (or tortillas of choice, can use gluten-free)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- ½ large avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped butter lettuce
- 12 cilantro sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F, and line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the sweet potato, mushrooms, cauliflower, oil, and taco seasoning.
- Spread the seasoned vegetables in a single layer in your prepared pan.
- Roast the vegetables for 35 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- Cook the black beans, hemp hearts, and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Spread the tortillas with the bean mixture; top with the sweet potato mixture, jalapeño, avocado, onion and lettuce. Serve the tacos garnished with cilantro, if desired.