Loaded with so much nutritious chunky garden goodness, this rustic vegetable soup recipe is nearly impossible for any healthy foodie to pass up. But the colorful mix and surprising extra flavor boost will make even vegetable-haters take notice.
This recipe was shared with us by Aunt Nellie’s Beets, so naturally, it includes beets! But to compliment that unique rustic vegetable soup addition, it’s topped with a gremolata that includes fresh dill. Gremolata is a fabulous, naturally dairy-free condiment that traditionally consists of just garlic, parsley and lemon zest. It brightens flavors and adds even more antioxidant-punch to this healthy rustic vegetable soup.
Special Diet Notes: Rustic Vegetable Soup with Gremolata
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, top food allergy-friendly, and even paleo! Just be sure to choose the broth and seasoned salt (if using) for this rustic vegetable soup that best fits your dietary needs. And if pickled beets don’t work for you, simply use roasted!
- 1 16-ounce jar pickled beets, well drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini (about 5 ounces each), coarsely chopped
- 28 ounces (about 3½ cups) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute about 5 minutes or until softened. Add carrots, sweet potato and garlic. Saute 3-5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini, broth and seasoned salt, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chickpeas and heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, as desired. Stir in parsley and dill. Stir in beets. Serve immediately topped with gremolata, if desired.
- To make gremolata, combine all ingredients.