Special Diet Notes: Marinated Shrimp Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
It does not take much more effort than mixing and chilling, and any home cook can handle that, be they novice or expert. It’s quick enough to be a perfect starter on a harried weeknight, yet fancy enough to whip up for special guests. My mouth is just watering thinking about making this one again … already.
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit
- 2 quarts water
- 2-1/2 lbs unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (I always skip)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- Garnishes: lemon wedges, paprika
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil; add shrimp and cook 3-5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel shrimp and devein, if desired. Chill.
- Whisk together olive oil and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl until blended; stir in green onions, celery and garlic.
- Add shrimp, toss to coat. Cover and chill 3 hours.
- Arrange shrimp on salad greens and garnish, if desired.