Patti Villers, Fit Fare – When I was thinking of what to make for this month’s entry, it was the first of May. And when I think May, I think of Mother’s Day and my mother, who used to do a lot of cooking. She often made this tropical fruit salad for my late father, who I would consider a Connecticut Yankee. He liked particular things that his mother had made, and this quick and easy salad was just up his alley!
So my mother prepared it for him on a regular basis. But for some reason she would never eat it. Something about shredded coconut…
She still doesn’t eat coconut. But if you don’t use too much, the flavor doesn’t permeate the fresh fruit.
Special Diet Notes: Yankee Tropical Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly.
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced thin
- 2 navel oranges, cut in chunks
- 2 tablespoon shredded coconut
- splash of orange juice, with pulp
- Take a baking dish or casserole dish and layer bananas and orange chunks. Sprinkle with coconut, and add just a splash of OJ.
- Let chill for at least an hour before serving.