Salmon Stew with Swiss Chard and Fennel
Author: Levana Kirschenbaum
- 2 large bunches Swiss chard, red or green or a combination, leaves only, cut in thin ribbons
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced.
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in small dice
- ½ cup oil-cured olives, pitted and halved
- 2 large heads fennel, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 bay leaves, or ½ teaspoon ground
- Good pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 3 pounds sea bass, salmon or halibut, cut in 2-inch cubes
- In a large heavy bottom pot, put all but last ingredient.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly with two big spoons.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce flame to medium and cook, covered, 15 minutes.
- Add the fish cubes and cook covered 15 more minutes.
- Carefully remove the fish and all vegetables, and check the cooking liquids.
- If too thin, reduce on a high flame for just a few minutes, till thickened.
- Pour over fish.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.