Vegan pots de creme we say? Yes, indeed. This ultimately rich dessert is more mousse than custard, which is probably a good thing since we’re talking chocolate.
The recipe was submitted by Becky Timbers as a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for vegan pots de creme with vanilla cashew cream uses Coconut or Almond Milk Creamer from So Delicious Dairy Free.
Make these vegan pots de creme ahead to impress dinner guests or simply to stock-up your own dairy-free dessert reserves for the week! The salt provides a savory contrast that enhances the depth of your favorite dark chocolate and keeps the end result from being too sweet.
Special Diet Notes: Salted Chocolate Vegan Pots de Creme
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. To keep the recipe soy-free, be sure to select a chocolate that is top allergen-free, like Enjoy Life.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (about 70% cacao), roughly chopped
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained, divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond or Coconut Milk Creamer
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon or less cayenne powder (optional)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- For the pots de crème, melt the chocolate in a double broiler over medium heat
- While the chocolate is melting, pulse the cashews in a food processor until mostly smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk the coconut oil into the melted chocolate until fully incorporated. Whisk in the creamer, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cayenne (if using). Let cook, whisking often, for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the food processor with the cashews. Process the mixture until very smooth, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Optionally strain the chocolate through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl, stirring continuously to speed up the process. This removes any cashew bits and makes the chocolate smoother.
- Pour the chocolate into ramekins or small individual bowls and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 4 hours.
- For the cashew cream, combine the cashews, coconut oil, sugar, salt, and vanilla bean seeds in a food processor or high speed blender. Process the mixture until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a small bowl or container and refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the Vanilla Bean Cashew Cream onto each chilled ramekin of Chocolate Vegan Pots de Creme.
Does the 1 cup of cashews go in the chocolate or the cream?
You’re adding the creamer to the chocolate mixture in step 3. Then in step 4 your putting that chocolate mixture in your blender with the cashews. Enjoy!
this recipe looks fantastic – so rich, I might put them in small SHOT glasses!
That’s a great idea!
Oooh, how I love chocolate pots de creme! This recipe looks wonderful!