Brought to light by the Contra Costa Times, this recipe hails from the “The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen” by Donna Klein. Donna Klein studied at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris. She is also the author of “The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen,” “The PDQ Vegetarian Cookbook” and “Vegan Italiano.”
Special Diet Notes: Basmati Rice Burgers
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free mild curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 gluten-free rolls
- Pistachio Mayonnaise (see recipe)
- Romaine lettuce or spinach leaves (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix the rice, carrot, onion, egg, salt, pepper, curry powder, and cumin until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Shape the rice mixture into 6 balls and flatten slightly with your palms. Add the patties to the skillet and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- To serve, place a burger on the bottom half of each roll. Spread with equal amounts (about 4 teaspoons) of the mayonnaise. Top with lettuce (if using). Cover with the roll tops and serve at once.