With a good dose of B vitamins, this vegan grilled cheese recipe from Jae of the Domestic Affair blog is an excellent way to get past those “cheesy” cravings. For soy-free, keep an eye on the margarine you used, or eliminated it (spectrum shortening is soy-free).
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Grilled Cheese
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or grated
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- a few twists of ground pepper
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- non-dairy, non-GMO margarine, for spreading
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- In a bowl, combine nutritional yeast, flour, salt, pepper, garlic and water. Stir mixture constantly in a skillet over low heat (like making gravy). Once it gets pasty, add the oil (and a touch more water if necessary). Once the oil is incorporated, turn off the heat.
- Margarine one side of each slice of bread. Take four of the slices and slather the other half with the "cheese". Slap the other four pieces of bread on top of the "cheesy" ones, marg side out.
- Fry up the sandwiches until golden brown on each side. Slice sandwiches in half and serve with ketchup and pickles. Mmmmmm!