This fantastic hot tofu curried apple sandwiches recipe from The Vegan Chef has made headlines:
Special Diet Notes: Hot Tofu Curried Apple Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free: use your favorite gluten-free bread & breadcrumbs.
- 1 pound. firm tofu
- Safflower oil for frying
- 1 cup vegan soy mayonnaise
- 1½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- ¾ cup celery, finely diced
- ½ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices of whole-grain bread
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Cut the block of tofu in half lengthwise. Turn each half cut-side down on the board, and cut through the outer edge of the block of tofu three times to yield four tofu cutlets from each half. (This means that the block of tofu will yield eight tofu cutlets.)
- On a large cookie sheet, place a clean, lint-free towel, then all of the tofu cutlets in a single layer, followed by another layer of toweling, and finally place another large cookie sheet on top. Place something very heavy on top of the cookie sheet and let tofu sit for one hour. This technique makes the texture of the tofu much firmer.
- In a nonstick skillet, in batches, saute the pieces of pressed tofu in a little of the oil, for two to three minutes per side or until lightly browned. Pat them with clean toweling to absorb any excess oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy mayonnaise, curry powder, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine. Fold the apples, celery, and green onions into the curry mayonnaise mixture. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Place the bread slices on a nonstick cookie sheet and top each with a piece of tofu. Evenly divide the curried apple mixture between the eight sandwiches, and spread it to cover the tofu. Sprinkle each of the sandwiches with one tablespoon of the bread crumbs and a little chopped parsley. Place the cookie sheet under the broiler, broil the sandwiches for five to seven minutes or until heated through and lightly browned on top.