This turkey Sloppy Joe is a good healthy alternative for adults and kids from prevention.com.
Special Diet Notes: Not-So-Original Sloppy Joe
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free.
For a gluten-free sloppy joe: use your favorite gluten free buns or bread.
- 1½ teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- ½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- ½ lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1½ teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- ⅓ cup strained tomatoes
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Chopped scallions (garnish)
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan over low heat. Add pepper, onion, garlic, and celery. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Push vegetables to one side of pan. Raise heat to medium-high. Add meat to side without vegetables and cook, stirring, until almost cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Combine meat and vegetables. Add vinegar and stir. Add tomato paste and sugar, if desired, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, nutmeg, and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Lower heat and simmer until thick, about 3 minutes.
- Open buns and toast in broiler until golden brown. Divide meat between buns, garnish with scallions, and serve.