Chef Bryanna Clark Grogan makes holidays a breeze with great recipes from “The (Almost) No-Fat Holiday Cookbook“, one in a series of her eight popular vegan cookbooks. Today we’re sharing one of our favorites from the book! This rich fat-free brown gravy is so flavorful and perfect for the holiday dinner table.
Special Diet Notes: Rich Fat-Free Brown Gravy
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian.
- 2½ cups water (or use 2 cups water and ½ cup dry sherry, port, Madeira, or Marsala)
- ⅓ cup unbleached white flour
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- OPTIONAL: a few shakes of gravy browner, such as Kitchen Bouquet. Add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy, if you like.
- In a heavy saucepan over high heat, whisk the yeast and flour together until it smells toasty.
- Off the heat, whisk in the water, soy sauce, salt and Kitchen Bouquet, if using.
- Stir constantly over high heat until it thickens and comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-5 minutes. This can be made ahead and reheated.