This Cheese-Like Sauce is a unique blend of flavors and comes from a contributor to All Recipes.
Special Diet Note: Cheese-Like Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ¼ head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- ⅔ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (optional)
- ¼ cup diced roasted red pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk beverage, room temperature
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce or to taste
- Melt the margarine with the sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until it smells good. Stir in flour, and cook for one more minute. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Bring one inch of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add cauliflower, and cook for 10 minutes, or until very tender. Drain, and place in a blender along with the onion and garlic mixture, miso paste, yeast, cider vinegar, and red peppers, if using. Process until smooth, adding a bit of water if necessary to get things moving.
- Pour the blender mixture back into the skillet, and turn the heat to medium. Stir together the cornstarch and rice milk; mix into the sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook to desired thickness. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a bit more milk. Season with hot pepper sauce, and adjust flavorings to suit your taste. More red peppers will make a sweeter sauce, more vinegar will take away some sweetness. Serve over your favorite pasta.