Special Diet Notes: Mushroom Gravy
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Optionally soy-free.
- ½ cup dried mushrooms or ¾ cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons non-dairy butter alternative
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth (may use chicken or beef broth for non-vegan)
- If using dried mushrooms, hydrate them with ½ cup boiling water. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter alternative in a small saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion. Add flour, stirring constantly until frothy. Add mushrooms, liquid and broth. Cook over medium heat to boil, stirring constantly. Turn down heat and let thicken.