This speedy enchilada sauce are a perfect addition to this vegan enchilada bake or can be used in any enchilada recipe. It’s easy to prepare, made with wholesome ingredients, plus homemade is always better!
Special Diet Notes: Speedy Enchilada Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- ¼ cup New Mexico or California chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion salt
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
- Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.