Updated 2022! This savory steamed custard was originally submitted by Roxanne Chan for our March Madness Recipe Contest in 2014. We’ve since updated this post! It’s a Japanese-style dish that uses less than ten ingredients, and comes together in minutes!
Japanese-Style Savory Steamed Custard with Wasabi and Sesame
This fast and easy dish is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and is naturally vegetarian, dairy-free, and paleo-friendly. It contains a warm hint of sesame oil, some heat from the wasabi, and a wonderful texture from the sesame seeds, bell pepper, and water chestnut.
Roxanne uses unsweetened coconut milk beverage in this recipe, but you can substitute another type of unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage, if needed. Lite canned coconut milk can also be used in a pinch!
Special Diet Notes: Savory Steamed Custard
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, paleo, and vegetarian.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup plain unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Mix in the peas, water chestnuts, bell pepper, wasabi, oil, and salt. Stir in the milk beverage.
- Pour the mixture into a 1½-inch deep heat proof dish placed on a rack in a pot set over boiling water. Cover the pot and steam for 12 minutes or until the eggs are set but still soft.
- Turn the steamed custard out onto a plate and garnish with sesame seeds.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.