This recipe for Asian-inspired steamed custard is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Roxanne Chan. To qualify, she uses 8 ingredients or less, including Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
This fast and easy light vegetarian dish contains a warm hint of sesame oil, the heat of wasabi, and a black sesame seed garnish. You can add other vegetables, such as diced red bell pepper, for different flavor vibes.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Savory Steamed Custard
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, and vegetarian.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- Garnish: black sesame seeds
- Lightly beat the eggs; mix in the peas, water chestnuts, bell pepper, wasabi, oil and salt till well combined, Stir in the coconut milk beverage.
- Pour into a 1½ inch deep heat proof dish placed on a rack in a pot set over boiling water. Cover the pot and steam 12 minutes or till the eggs are set but still soft.
- Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.