This savoury vegan scones recipe with photos was shared with us by Carla, who used to blog at But Did they Eat It? Carla would try various vegan recipes on her family and report back how they went. This recipe only had one hang-up, the nutty bits. It seems her family is a bit averse to nuts in their baked goods, otherwise they went over very well. Thanks to Carla for sharing this recipe with us!
Special Diet Notes: Savoury Vegan Scones
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, optionally peanut-free, optionally soy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup peanuts, crushed (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk the milk beverage and vinegar together in a glass measuring cup.
- Add the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, mustard powder, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the buttery spread and peanut butter and whisk until coarse crumbs form. Stir in the crushed peanuts (if using).
- Add the milk beverage mixture and stir. Bring the dough together with your hands as needed.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface, and cut it into even sized pieces – 12 for littler scones, 8 for larger ones.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (depends if you have big or little), and serve warm!