This savoury vegan scones recipe and accompanying photos are from Carla over at But Did they Eat It? Carla trials various vegan recipes on her family and reports back how they went. This recipe only had one hang-up, the nutty bits. It seems her family is a bit averse to nuts in their baked goods, otherwise they went over well. Thanks to Carla for sharing this recipe with us!
Special Diet Notes: Savoury Vegan Scones
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally soy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup plain dairy-free milk alternative
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine
- 3 tablespoons smooth (Natural) peanut butter
- ¼ cup peanuts – crushed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and prepare cookie sheet.
- Mix Soy milk and Apple Cider Vinegar and allow to stand for 5 minutes to curdle.
- Sift dry ingredients (flour through yeast) together
- Cut or rub margarine and peanut butter into the flour mix until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add crushed nuts if using.
- Add curdled milk, mix with hands to bring dough together. Knead lightly and lay out on lightly floured surface.
- Cut into even sized pieces – 12 for littler scones, 8 for larger ones.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes (depends if you have big or little), and serve warm!