This savoury vegan scones recipe was originally shared with us by Carla, who used to blog at But Did they Eat It? She would try various vegan recipes on her family and report back how they went. Her family loved this recipe, which is rich with unique ingredients. The end result is a cross between classic scones and biscuits, and it can be enjoyed as a breakfast or dinner bread.
Special Diet Notes: Savoury Vegan Scones
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, optionally soy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (can sub sunflower seed butter or almond butter)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk the milk beverage and vinegar together in a glass measuring cup.
- Add the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, mustard powder, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the buttery spread and peanut butter and whisk until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the milk beverage mixture and stir. Bring the dough together with your hands as needed.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface, and cut it into even sized pieces – 12 for littler scones, 8 for larger ones.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (depends if you have big or little), and serve warm!