Two months ago, we featured a sample recipe from one of Beverly Lynn Bennett’s latest books, Anti-Inflammatory Foods and Recipes. It was for her pretty Tropical Fruit Parfaits with Homemade Vanilla Nut Whip – a perfect low-sugar treat. But now that we’re heading into the cooler months, Beverly was kind enough to share a sample savory dish from this healthy vegan cookbook. These shredded vegetable & kale pancakes have a warm, comforting appeal, and pack in loads of nutrition with every bite. They boast antioxidant-rich root vegetables, herbs, and greens, and also contain steel cut oats for an extra dose of fiber.
Special Diet Notes: Shredded Vegetable & Kale Pancakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- ¾ cup steel-cut oats (certified gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 large (8 ounces) turnip, peeled and shredded
- 1 large (8 ounces) gold or red beet, peeled and shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup stemmed and coarsely chopped kale, lightly packed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons non-GMO canola oil, avocado oil, or other oil, divided
- Put the oats in a blender or spice grinder and process them into a fine flour, about 30 seconds.
- Put the turnip, beet, and carrots in a colander in the sink and squeeze to remove excess moisture.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl, and add the kale, parsley, chives, dill, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the oat flour and stir until evenly distributed.
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop ¼ cup of the vegetable mixture into the preheated pan for each pancake. Slightly flatten each pancake with a spatula.
- Cook until the pancakes are golden brown and crispy on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook until the other side is brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining oil and vegetable mixture.
- Serve the vegetable & kale pancakes warm.